Homework Calendar

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Class News #3

Greetings Everyone! I cannot believe it's already October! What a whirlwind! Here's what we've been working on.
In Social Studies we have been studying the Regions of Texas-Coastal Plains, Central Plains, Mountains & Basins, and Great Plains. The children have enjoyed learning about all the different parts to TX-they can name natural resources and major cities!
In Math we tackled 2-digit by 2-digit multiplication-[We'll come back around to this one again!] and the start of division. We're moving into 1-digit divisor by 2 and 3 digit dividend division.
In Language Arts we have been working on writing a surprising event narrative and many different writing projects. The children have inserted showing sentences and snapshots as well as improved their verb choice and descriptive language.
We started book clubs this week! Yeah! Each student has chosen a book that they want to read, the groups set a goal and they will have their first book club meetings this week. I've been meeting with each group as they work on deeply comprehending the texts.
The children have devoured the Space Science unit! They have learned about the rotation of the Earth and its orbit within the solar system, the effects of sunlight and shadows, and the phases of the moon.
A few thank yous...
We had a very successful Open House and I am so grateful to those of you who came to learn about our class. I loved getting to put a face with each of you and match you and your child! Getting to know you, helps me know your child even better!
Thank you, too, for the beautiful flowers you sent in for my birthday! I love flowers and I appreciate you all thinking of me! The kids and I are enjoying the beautiful view and aroma!
A few upcoming events...
The week of October 17th is parent conferences. I will be scheduling those soon and will send you an email with your day/time. Some of you have requested days/times and I will do my best to accommodate you. Thursday and Friday [10/20 and 10/21] are early dismissal days-the students are released at 12 noon.
We have been using small dry erase boards quite a lot lately-I asked the children to bring an old pair of socks from home to use as erasers. If you have an old pair that you're willing to part with, we'd love to have it!
Again, thank you for the privilege of teaching your children! They are fantastic and I am enjoying our time together!

No comments:

Post a Comment